July 2022 Scripted, Factual, Development and Platform funding round information
Information for applicants intending to make a funding application to the Scripted, Factual, Development or Platform streams of the NZ Media Fund for the July 2022 round is now available.
Funding round priorities
July is the first round of the new financial year, and we expect to receive many applications. As we’ve done in previous years, we intend to provisionally cap the Factual and Scripted funding committed to this round to ensure funds remain for later rounds.
- Factual – genres prioritised for this round include Documentary and General Factual applications (including Events). Approximately $10m has been allocated for content intended for general audiences.
- Scripted – applications for the Premier and Sustainable strands of our Scripted Roadmap will be considered. This round is open to Premier Drama, Scripted Comedy and Unscripted Comedy (e.g. comedy/panel show) content genres. Approximately $20m has been allocated for content intended for general audiences. Sustainable Drama and Newer Storytellers applications will be considered in upcoming rounds.
- Development – both Content (including Diverse Development) and Industry development applications will be considered. Please see the Development Roadmap.
- Factual development applications will only be accepted for projects that require significant research and have co-funding from the supporting platform.
- Platforms - applications from platforms seeking annual operating expenses for the 2022/23 financial year will be considered in the April/July funding round.
- The Platforms funding stream is a closed fund for existing funded entities who deliver services to create and deliver audio/visual public media content. These entities are described here. Applications for new platforms will not be considered.
7 April 2022 - Funding round opens.
All applications must be made through NZ On Air’s online application system.
Applications not submitted through this system will not be accepted. You must submit a request to register with our online system well in advance of the application deadline day.
28 April 2022, 4pm - Application deadline. Round closes.
Late applications will not be considered. In very exceptional circumstances, for time-sensitive projects agreed prior by the Head of Funding, we may consider an out of time application. But we will not be generous.
6 July 2022 - Decisions confirmed, applicants notified the following day.
This date may be extended at NZ On Air’s sole discretion.