Statistics NZ has released the 2012/13 Screen Industry Survey results. The headline statistic is that New Zealand screen industry revenue decreased 4 percent to $3.1 billion. Within that, however, are a range of numbers relevant to broadcasting and television production which are outlined below.
- Television broadcasting gross revenue (via television or the internet) grew 5 percent from 2012 to 2013 to $1.4 billion continuing a trend going back at least four years.
- Financing and funding received for television production increased by 20% to $256 million. However, this is off the back of a historic low of $214 million in 2012 compared with previous years of $269 million (2011) and $321 million (2010) respectively.
- Auckland businesses earned 79% of television production revenue.
- The number of screen industry businesses involved in broadcasting has fallen steadily from 57 to 30 between 2010 and 2013.
- The number of completed television series rose from 280 to 400 between 2012 and 2013. The number of one-off/stand alone productions has decreased from 1500 to 1200.
- The number of mid-range production companies (film, television & TVCs) earning between $0.5 - 9.9 million declined between 2010 – 2013 from 216 to 156. Companies earning $10 million or more of gross revenue per annum remained consistent at 18 as did the number of companies earning less than $0.49 million at around 2715.
Your can read the full report on the Statistics NZ website.