NZ On Air will fund 20 new music projects in its latest MakingTracks funding round.
The 20 projects were selected from a field of 123 applications.
There are 12 $10,000 grants for recording a song and making a music video to back up the release of the song and eight $6,000 grants for making a music video only.
This is the fourth MakingTracks funding round for the 2015-2016 financial year. In the last financial year, we took in 1,254 applications and funded 230 songs. Since July this year, we have had 491 songs submitted and we have funded 88 projects.
“We were especially pleased the panel chose two songs in te reo to support this round; one from Ranea Aperahama, and the other from Alien Weaponry from Waipu in Northland. RockQuest and Pacifica Beats finalists, Alien Weaponry have an average age of 13 and are set to take the heavy metal world by storm with a te reo song!” said NZ On Air Music Manager Brendan Smyth.
Decisions are based on the broadcast, music and audience merits of the songs that have been submitted, judged by a panel of broadcasting and music professionals.
The list of 20 projects funded in the October round is as follows –
(a) Funding of up to $10,000 for each of the following 12 MakingTracks projects in the October 2015 round, comprising up to $4,000 for recording a song and $6,000 for making a music video of that same song –
• Alien Weaponry / Ruana Te Whenua
• Bakers Eddy / Wallbreaker
• Black Fox Trio / Giants
• Die! Die! Die! / (I Love How You) Listen To The Radio
• French For Rabbits / The Weight Of Melted Snow
• Fungi / Waste Me Taste Me
• Graham Candy / My Wellington
• Kamandi / What About You
• Rei / Hundy Club
• Stan Walker & The Oneill Twins / Boss As Chick
• The Miltones / Pursed Lips
• Tomorrow People / Writing On The Wall featuring Fran Kora
(b) Funding of $6,000 for each of the following 8 MakingTracks projects in the October 2015 round, being funding for making a music video only –
• All The Colours / Jonathan
• Ekko Park / Surface Breaks
• Gareth Thomas / Weird Fever
• Maya Payne / Breathe Again
• Mermaidens / Undergrowth
• Ranea / Tihei Mauri Ora
• Tami Neilson / Holy Moses
• Team Dynamite / Marvin (Beam Me Up)
The October Making Tracks Panel was –
The next MakingTracks round closes at 5.00pm on Sunday 01 November 2015. It is the last round this calendar year.
Applications can be made online at www.nzonair.govt.nz/music.
Keep up to date with our regular newsletter featuring news from NZ On Air and the industry.