NZ On Air will fund 25 new music projects in its latest Making Tracks funding round.
The 25 projects were selected from a field of 131 applications.
There are 12 $10,000 grants for recording a song and making a music video to back up the release of the song and 13 $6,000 grants for making a music video only.
This is the seventh Making Tracks funding round for the 2013-2014 funding year. So far this year, we have taken in 903 applications and we have funded 162 songs.
"This month’s applications were of extraordinary quality. It has without a doubt been the most competitive round we’ve seen since we started Making Tracks. We can’t wait to see how audiences respond to the songs and videos when they are released," said NZ On Air Music Manager Brendan Smyth.
Decisions are based on the broadcast, music and audience merits of the songs that have been submitted, judged by a panel of broadcasting and music professionals.
The list of 25 March projects follows –
(a) Funding of up to $10,000 for each of the following 12 Making Tracks projects in the March 2014 round, comprising up to $4,000 for recording a song and $6,000 for making a music video of that same song –
• Brooke Duff/What Can I Say
• Jonathan Bree/Weird Hardcore
• Lawrence Arabia/The Palest Of Them All
• Luckless/When You Asked Her To Stay
• Mulholland/Before It All Falls Apart
• Paquin/You’re My Thrill
• Popstrangers/Country Kills
• Princess Chelsea/We Were Meant 2 B
• Rackets/Wash My Brain Out
• Savage/Take These Shots
• Tyra Hammond/So Good At Being In Trouble
(b) Funding of $6,000 for each of the following 13 Making Tracks projects in the March 2014 round, being funding for making a music video only –
• Benny Tipene/Lonely
• Breaks Co-Op/Home
• Clap Clap Riot/Cold As Ice
• David Dallas/Southside featuring Sid Diamond & Mareko
• Deceptikonz/Blood In Blood Out featuring David Dallas
• Flip Grater/The Smell Of Strangers
• Josh Leys/Hold On To Your Love
• Ladi6/Hold Tight
• NO/Hold On
• She’s So Rad/Breakout featuring Grandmaster Caz, Coco Solid & Jay Kin
• The Naked + Famous/Grow Old
• The Tiny Lies/The Walls Came Down
• Young Tapz/Eminence featuring The Wyld
The March Making Tracks Panel was –
Tim Homer [Kiwi FM; Auckland]
Pennie Blair [95bFM; Auckland]
Daniel Wrightson [Juice Music Television; Auckland]
Sam Wicks [Radio New Zealand; Auckland]
Neil Cox [Christchurch Music Industry Trust; Christchurch]
Lee Prebble [Producer; Wellington]
Tania Dean [NZ On Air, Auckland]
The next Making Tracks funding round is the April round, which closes at 5.00pm on Tuesday 01 April.
Applications can be made online at www.nzonair.govt.nz/music
Keep up to date with our regular newsletter featuring news from NZ On Air and the industry.