Decisions from NZ On Air’s August 2014 Making Tracks funding round
NZ On Air will fund 21 new music projects in its latest Making Tracks funding round.
The 21 projects were selected from a field of 134 applications.
There are 16 $10,000 grants for recording a song and making a music video to back up the release of the song and five $6,000 grants for making a music video only.
This is the second Making Tracks funding round for the 2014-2015 financial year. In the last financial year to 30 June, we took in 1,284 applications and we funded 234 songs.
"The artists receiving funding this month have all submitted songs that we think will find an appreciative audience. Our panel of judges know talent when they hear it, and we look forward to hearing these new songs on our airwaves,” said Brendan Smyth, Music Manager NZ On Air.
Decisions are based on the broadcast, music and audience merits of the songs that have been submitted, judged by a panel of broadcasting and music professionals.
The list of 21 August projects follows –
(a) Funding of up to $10,000 for each of the following 16 Making Tracks projects in the August 2014 round, comprising up to $4,000 for recording a song and $6,000 for making a music video of that same song –
• AHoriBuzz/Into The Sunshine
• Departure Club/Horizon featuring Sam Allen
• Ezra Vine/Braver Than Most
• Gap5/Hold On
• Jamie McDell/Back Of My Mind
• K.One/I Wanna Tell You featuring Pieter T
• Lawrence Arabia/A Lake
• Marlon Williams/Dark Child
• Pieter T/Doin’ The Most (That Girl) featuring K.One
• Shunkan/Our Names
• Sweet Mix Kids/Pure Heart featuring Helen Corry
• The Impending Adorations/When The Wind Blows
• The Ruby Suns/Tilt Of His Hat
• The Upbeats/Split featuring Armanni Reign
• Thomas Oliver/If I Move To Mars
• Titanium/Take Us Back
(b) Funding of $6,000 for each of the following 5 Making Tracks projects in the August 2014 round, being funding for making a music video only –
• Benny Tipene/Step On Up
• Dictaphone Blues/Her Heart Breaks Like A Wave
• Raiza Biza/New Kings featuring Spycc & Maia Rata
• The Datsuns/Claw Machine
The August Making Tracks Panel was –
Mike McClung [The Radio Network; Auckland]
Dean Campbell [The Edge; Auckland]
Rachel Morton [98-RDU; Christchurch]
Gaye Stebbing [Juice Music Television; Auckland]
Martyn Pepperell [Music Writer; Wellington]
Joost Langeveld [Big Pop Studios; Auckland]
Jeff Newton [NZ On Air; Auckland]
The next Making Tracks funding round is the September round, which closes at 5.00pm on Monday 01 September.
Applications can be made online at www.nzonair.govt.nz/music.
Keep up to date with our regular newsletter featuring news from NZ On Air and the industry.