Decisions from NZ On Air’s May 2014 Making Tracks funding round.
NZ On Air will fund 21 new music projects in its latest Making Tracks funding round.
The 21 projects were selected from a field of 132 applications.
There are 11 $10,000 grants for recording a song and making a music video to back up the release of the song and 10 $6,000 grants for making a music video only.
This is the ninth Making Tracks funding round for the 2013-2014 funding year. So far this year, we have taken in 1,169 applications and we have funded 206 songs.
“This month there’s a diverse range of quality artists funded. From Shihad, who are still making great rock after decades in the business, through to debutantes such as The Heart of Katherine and Imagine This. Also making waves internationally and funded again this round are Janine & The Mixtape and Strange Babes. More music to satisfy every taste,” says NZ On Air Music Manager Brendan Smyth.
Decisions are based on the broadcast, music and audience merits of the songs that have been submitted, judged by a panel of broadcasting and music professionals.
The list of 21 May projects follows –
(a) Funding of up to $10,000 for each of the following 11 Making Tracks projects in the May 2014 round, comprising up to $4,000 for recording a song and $6,000 for making a music video of that same song –
• ATP/Boss’n Up featuring Ill Semantics
• Cairo Knife Fight/Rezlord
• Jason Kerrison/I Don’t Care What They Think
• Jonathan Bree/IBlur
• J Williams/Breathe featuring Brooke Duff
• K.One/Love Don’t Live Around Here
• Luke Thompson/Keep Rolling On
• Shapeshifter/Beat 25
• Shihad/Song 2
• Strange Babes/Come Back Around
• The Impending Adorations/The Best Is Yet To Come
(b) Funding of $6,000 for each of the following 10 Making Tracks projects in the May 2014 round, being funding for making a music video only –
• Aldous Harding/Stop Your Tears
• Drew/Next Time featuring Sid Diamond
• Electric Wire Hustle/Bottom Line
• Imagine This/Find A Way
• Janine & The Mixtape/Walk Away
• Jesse Sheehan/Meredith
• Orchestra Of Spheres/2,000,000 Years
• Sid Diamond/Show Me The Paper
• Team Dynamite/Coconut Lime featuring Che Fu
• The Heart Of Katherine/Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
The May Making Tracks Panel was –
Phil Bell [Mai FM; Auckland]
Miles Buckingham [Radio Active; Wellington]
Gaye Stebbing [Juice TV; Auckland]
Emma Smith [Music 101, Radio New Zealand National; Wellington]
Silke Hartung; [NZ Musician magazine; Auckland]
Greg Haver [Record Producer; Auckland]
Tania Dean [NZ On Air, Auckland]
The next Making Tracks funding round is the June round, which closes at 5.00pm on Sunday 01 June.
Applications can be made online at www.nzonair.govt.nz/music.
Keep up to date with our regular newsletter featuring news from NZ On Air and the industry.