NZ On Air will fund 24 new music projects in its latest MakingTracks funding round.
The 24 projects were selected from a field of 122 applications.
There are 16 $10,000 grants for recording a song and making a music video to back up the release of the song and 8 $6,000 grants for making a music video only.
This is the first MakingTracks funding round for the 2015-2016 financial year. In the last financial year, we took in 1,254 applications and funded 230 songs.
"We’re off to a great start for the new financial year – look out for these cool new tracks,” said NZ On Air Music Manager Brendan Smyth. “We’re also working on counting the big numbers and will soon release tallies of spins and streams of funded songs over the four years so far of Making Tracks.”
Decisions are based on the broadcast, music and audience merits of the songs that have been submitted, judged by a panel of broadcasting and music professionals.
The list of 24 projects funded in the July round is as follows –
(a) Funding of up to $10,000 for each of the following 16 MakingTracks projects in the July 2015 round, comprising up to $4,000 for recording a song and $6,000 for making a music video of that same song –
• Average Rap Band / Nowhere
• Brendon Thomas & The Vibes / Golden City
• Charity Children / Whispering Still
• Dave Dobbyn / Angelina
• Decades / Terrified
• Dion Lunadon / Com/Broke
• Glass Vaults / Life Is The Show
• Kinetik / Never Will Forget You
• Lontalius / Glow
• Louis Baker / Rainbow
• Marino Mariner / Here We Are
• NameUL / Nice Guys Finish Thirst
• Riley Richards / My Freedom
• Sachi / No More featuring Zoe & Sysyi
• The Eversons / Hippie Girl
• Tsörf/ Hold On To Me
(b) Funding of $6,000 for each of the following 8 MakingTracks projects in the July 2015 round, being funding for making a music video only –
• Devilskin / Mountains
• Eastern Bloc / Pop Like
• Esther Stephens & The Means / French Kiss
• Janine + The Mixtape / When I’m Broken
• Laura Lee / Dreamers
• Mac Mylo & Jupiter Project / OMG featuring Mez & Team On Point
• Spycc / Other Lover featuring High Hoops
• Tom Lark / Never Be Your Man
The July Making Tracks Panel was –
David Stevens [Radio Control; Palmerston North]
Paul Kennedy [RadioScope; Matamata]
Sam De Jong [Smoke Studios; Auckland]
Sam Wicks [Radio New Zealand National; Auckland]
Sarah Gandy [ZM; Auckland]
Willy Macalister [George FM; Auckland]
Tania Dean [NZ On Air; Auckland]
The next MakingTracks funding round closes at 5.00pm on Saturday 01 August 2015.
Applications can be made online at
Keep up to date with our regular newsletter featuring news from NZ On Air and the industry.